Visa Procedure

1 - All appointments for visa interviews at the Embassy's consular section are made via the Internet by Consulate General of the US Jerusalem

2 - SEVIS FEE DEPOSIT: All students & exchange visitors must pay mandatory payment of the Sevis (Student/Exchange Visitor processing fee) before arriving for a visa appointment at the consulate. The fee is US$ 100 non-refundable. Please visit to read further instructions.

3 - An applicant may apply for a student Visa not earlier than 90 days before the registration date specified on the FORM I-20.

4 - Booking an Appointment (under new visa rules effective October 3, 2005):

Prior to confirming a visa interview appointment online or at any US Visa Application Centre, you need to pay the following fees and obtain a Visa Fee Receipt from designated Cairo Amman Bank.

When going to Cairo Amman Banks, please carry with you a photocopy of the 1st page of the applicant's passport.

Visa Application Fee (MRV Fee): $140 in Israeli New Shekel equivalent at market rate of exchange. INS amount at current rate of exchange (3.42) is INS 480/- This fee is payable in cash or by DD/Cairo Amman Bank. cheque favouring ‘US Embassy - Visa Fees’.

VFS’ Service Charge: INS 22/- This fee is payable in cash or by DD/HDFC Bank cheque favouring ‘Cairo Amman Bank a/c VFS’.

IMPORTANT: The fee receipt gets activated 2 working days from date of issue. Do not attempt to take an appointment till then. -  The applicant should carry demand draft of visa Issuance Fee amount of INS 480/-. favouring the Consulate General of the US Jerusalem

Fill out an Visa Application Forms DS-156, DS-157 and DS-158).

Interview in the Embassy: An "interview'" will last no more than one or two minutes. What to Bring When Applying for a Visa:

     - Passport:
     - Photograph: One black and white or color photograph taken on a white background (size = 2 inches x 2 inches or 5cm. X 5 cm.) Photographs should be no more than six months old. Instant photos are not acceptable.
     - I-20 Form: 
     - Evidence of Prior Education:. 
     - Financial Assets

What If Your Visa Is Denied?
Most visa requests are granted, so your chances of receiving a student visa are good. But when a request is denied, the main reason (90% of denials) is that the official believes the student actually wants to go to the US to live and work. If you are denied a visa, ask politely for a reason. Ask if additional documentation could result in an approval, and (if so), what documents would be most useful.

If your visa is denied, you can re-apply, but you need more evidence to show you will return home after study and that you have sufficient funds to pay for your educational expenses. If you are refused a second time, you will have to wait for a period before you return. However, the probability of success on a third try is not very high. Each time you apply, you need to provide more documentation, so that you can say truthfully that there are new facts to review and more reason for approval. For more information, please meet our Student Visa Experts at our Office.

Frequently Asked Questions for Student Visas
1 - Is it required that I pay the first year tuition expenses in advance and show a receipt from the university? No - paying the tuition expenses in advance is a good way to show proof of funds, but it is NOT a requirement to pay in advance.

2 - What documents should I show to prove that I can pay for my education in the U.S.? There are no specific documents that prove a student is able to pay for his/her education. Bank account statements, chartered accountant statements, employment letters, and property documents are the most common documents used to show proof of funds.

3 - How do I prove that I can afford to attend school in the United States? Part 7 on the I-20 shows the amount of funding you must have available to cover the first year's expenses. The total amount includes tuition and fees, living expenses, expenses of dependents (if applicable), and other expenses (as applicable). You must prove that you have immediate funds available to cover this amount. If you are going to a two-years Master's program, then you must also show that funds are or will likely be available to cover the same amount for the second year. For example, if you are a prospective Master's student for a two-year program, and the total amount in Part 7 of the I-20 includes $5,000 for tuition and fees, $5,000 for living expenses, and $500 for other expenses (books and supplies, for instance), then you must prove that $10,500 is immediately available to you. Additionally, you must show that another $10,500 is or will likely be available to cover the second year.

4 - What if my university does not require that I take the TOEFL or GRE? Students whose prospective university does not require that they take the TOEFL or GRE should provide a letter from the university stating the same. However, the Embassy strongly recommends that all student visa applicants provide standardized test scores.

5 - What if I have not yet received my degree certificate? May I still apply? Yes - you may still apply, but please be sure to include your mark sheets and provisional certificate if available.

6 - I have taken a loan from a bank to cover my tuition. Do I still need to show other financial documents? You must prove that funds are immediately available to cover the first year's costs, and show evidence that funds will be available for all subsequent years. Any financial documentation you provide should be in support of this. This applies to ALL student visa applicants.

7 - I have a valid H4 visa and I have got admission to a college. Can I use the drop box facility? No, as you are a first time student visa applicant applying for an F-1 visa you must use the website to schedule an appointment and appear for the personal interview.

8 - Can a person on a visitor visa, if he gets admission to a school and gets an I-20, be able to change his status to student? No. Previously, U.S. law permitted persons entering on tourist, B-2 visas to change status to F-1 visas. That is no longer the case. A non-immigrant wishing to study in the U.S. must apply from their country of origin or residence if they wish to study in the U.S. on an F-1 visa.