Visa Procedure

Visa Requirements

Student must be able to show that they have been granted university/college admission in Sweden

Student must study full-time

Student must be able to show that they have enough money to support themselves throughout the planned study period. Proof that they can support themselves must be provided, e g in the form of some kind of documentation certifying their own or their sponsor's bank assets, a letter of guarantee from their sponsor, or documentation certifying that they have received either a scholarship or student benefit from their country of origin/domicile. They are required to show that they will have SEK 6,300/month at their disposal for 10 months/year. If they can show that you will be receiving free board and lodging, for instance, this sum is reduced

Student must fully intend to leave Sweden on completion of your studies

Visa Application
Students apply at a Swedish embassy or consulate in their country of origin or their country of domicile. The embassy or consulate sends their application to the Migration Board in Sweden, which takes permit decisions. Student will be notified of the decision by the embassy or consulate to which they have applied.

To be sure of obtaining the permit in time, student should present their application 6 - 8 weeks prior to their departure for Sweden.

Visa Validity
If the study period is a year or less, student will be granted a residence permit for the duration of your studies. If the study period is longer than a year student will be granted a permit for one year at a time.

To obtain an extension of the residence permit, student must be able to show that they have performed adequately in their studies. Student must also be able to show that they have regularly received money for their upkeep during the time they have spent in Sweden, by producing a bank certificate, a statement of accounts or the like. In addition, they must be able to show that they have been accepted for further studies and that their upkeep remains assured.

Work while studying
Student may work and they do not need a work permit to do that during their stay in Sweden as a student or a Master's degree student.

The Schengen Agreement
The rules in the Schengen Agreement on travel within the Schengen zone now apply in Sweden as well. One result is that people with Swedish residence permits can travel freely throughout the zone for a period of three months without first applying for a visa. All travelers must have a valid passport and be able to prove their identities.

The countries that have signed the Schengen Agreement are: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain and Sweden.

Further Information
For further information about residence permits for students at university or college in Sweden, please contact us.